With the AREDS 2 study recently published, the recommendations for vitamin supplements have not changed.
AREDS 2 did not change any of the recommendations for changing diet or adding supplements. While it didn’t lead to any discoveries, it did validate the original AREDS study.
Take the AREDS Formulation!
The original AREDS formulation contains;
- Vitamin C, 500 milligrams
- Vitamin E, 400 IU
- Beta-Carotene, 15 milligrams
- Zinc Oxide, 80 milligrams
- Cupric Oxide, 2 milligrams
Note that there is no lutein in the formulation.
Some popular brands containing the AREDS formulation;
There are others made by other vitamin companies but they also sell products for which their is no scientific data on efficacy. In general, look for the AREDS formulation. Compare to the ingredient list above.
AREDS and Multivitamins
AREDS vitamins and multivitamins are different. One is not a substitute for the other. There are elements found in the AREDS formulation not found in the multivitamin.
Consult your physician if your are considering stopping or starting either vitamin.
You do not need vitamins based upon the AREDS 2 formulation.
What Does this Mean?
The new study confirmed the AREDS study released in 2006.
1. Take AREDS vitamins, but only if you have intermediate or high risk for developing ARMD. You’ll have to ask your doctor if you meet the criteria.
2. Lutein is not necessary.
3. The vitamins do NOT improve or prevent the development of macular degeneration. They may, when indicated, prevent severe vision loss from the wet form of the disease.
4. Omega 3 Fatty Acids have no direct effect on macular degeneration.
Randall V. Wong, M.D.
4 replies on “Vitamin & Diet Recommendations for ARMD”
My question is what quality tests have been done on these vitamins?
do they test for pesticides,fungicides, chemicals? That is the EVOA formula.
How long has the company been in business.?
I take supplements from Shaklee now and want to know if I can take both of these supplements or should i take more of Shaklee’s vitalizer which has more than the listed nutrients. With the diagnosis of macular degeneration dry eye.
Thank you Mary Lincoln
Over the counter supplements and vitamins escape the rigors of the FDA. I do not think they are tested nor regulated.
Randall V. Wong, M.D.
Fairfax, Virginia 22031
Do you recommend any shaklee products over PRN Macular vitamins. Thank you
I do not. Not familiar with many vitamin products at all. There are many.